29-30 JULY 2022
It is exciting to host Inter-House Athletics Day for the first time since 2019. The Inter-House rivalry has always been fierce and passionate, but our boys interact positively. More incredibly, old Albanian and Olympian Shaun Maswanganyi (Class of 2019) competed in this event just before representing South Africa at Tokyo 2020.
Today is about the athletes and allowing individuals to showcase their talents in front of the entire community. As we do in other sporting codes, we have the privilege of seeing our young men develop and grow, and I look forward to seeing all our boys participate in this event. This day has always been a highlight in our calendar. In many ways, it depicts the mission and vision of the school, which ultimately draws our community together. Parents, thank you for supporting your sons; they appreciate your affirmation and encouragement. Please enjoy the camaraderie, the rivalry and the sheer joy of boys competing against their friends.
Boys and staff, thank you for the preparation put in towards this occasion and for creating the wonderful atmosphere we will experience today. Mainly, I would like to thank our ground staff, led by Johnny Nkuna, who have worked tirelessly to ensure that the fields and grounds are ready for this event and for all the preparation that goes into an event like today. Athletics requires many officials, and I would like to pay tribute to our staff and the Sports Department, led by Garth Turvey, for all the hard work behind the scenes.
There is no doubt that the Houses revel in the opportunity to compete against each other. So enjoy the rivalry, the festivities and the fellowship which today will bring.
THE ATHLETE’S PRAYER
Heavenly Father, be with our young athletes as they test their physical skills.
Let them compete well but fairly. Let competition make them strong but never hostile.
Grant them the strength to beat their opponent and lead them always to help the opponent up. Grant them moments to rejoice but not in the adversity of others. Help them to stay safe from injury, both physical and emotional. Help them to learn something that matters once the competition is over. Help them remember that sports is just a game.
If they know victory, allow them to be happy. If they are denied, keep them from envy. If through athletics they set an example, let it be a good one.
HOUSE SEATING (WEST TO EAST)
MURRAY / KNAPP-FISHER / DE BEER / KNOLL / MACROBERT / OCHSE / BALOYI
INTER-HOUSE ATHLETICS RULES:
- MAXIMUM OF FIVE EVENTS PER ATHLETE: 2 TRACK & 3 FIELD OR 2 FIELD & 3 TRACK; OVER ALL DAYS OF COMPETITION, RELAYS ARE NOT INCLUDED.
- TWO ATHLETES PER HOUSE FOR 100m & 800m, THREE ATHLETES PER HOUSE FOR 1500m & 3000m, TWO ATHLETES PER HOUSE FOR FIELD EVENTS, HOWEVER ONLY 1 ATHLETE FOR TRIPLE JUMP, 200m and 400m.
- FOR AWARDS (VICTOR LUDORUM, BEST ATHLETE IN AGE GROUP), ONLY AN ATHLETE’S BEST THREE EVENTS ARE CALCULATED. (It must be 1 track & 2 fields or 1 field & 2 tracks.)
- 3000m IS A JUNIOR/SENIOR EVENT MEANING U14 & U15 COMPETE TOGETHER AND U16, U17 & OPENS COMPETE TOGETHER; HOWEVER, THEY COMPETE IN THEIR RESPECTIVE AGE GROUPS FOR OTHER EVENTS.
- AN ATHLETE MAY NOT COMPETE IN 2 DIFFERENT AGE GROUPS; THIS WILL LEAD TO A DISQUALIFICATION AND LOSS OF POINTS.
- CORRECT DRESS MUST BE WORN (House Shirt and white shorts) – THIS APPLIES TO BOTH DAY 1 AND DAY 2.
Please note the new rule in High Jump: In all inter-school meetings (Primary and High School) up to National Level, attempts are limited to 2 trials per height only.
TUG OF WAR RULES
- A maximum of 8 boys per team
- Group stages will be best of 1 pull only
- Winning teams scores 1 point in the group stages and the losing team 0
- Pulls for placing on Saturday will be the best of 3 pulls
NB: Please get to your event area 10mins prior to your field event and 5 mins prior to your track event.
PROGRAMME OF EVENTS
DAY 2 CONTINUED